The European Commission Joint Research Centre (JRC) has announced an international multidisciplinary project competition with prequalification for the design of the new JRC Site Headquarters in Seville, Spain. It is endorsed by the International Union of Architects (UIA) as being in accordance with the UNESCO-UIA Regulations for International Competitions in Architecture and Town Planning.
The competition seeks a forward-looking, innovative and cost-efficient construction, aiming at integrating multiple disciplines to achieve the highest sustainability targets for a new construction project. Participants are also requested to integrate in their proposal a reflection on the future of office workspaces in the aftermath of the COVID-19 crisis.
- Bernard Magenhann, Deputy Director General of JRC, European Commission, Jury Chair, Belgium
- Mikel Landabaso, JRC Seville site Director, European Commission, Spain
- Lone Wiggers, Architect, Denmark
- Silvia Benedito, UIA representative, Architect, Portugal
- Patrick Bouchardon, Landscape Architect, France/Britain
- Christiane Gerlach, Chief architect of European Commission, OIB (Brussels Infrastructure Office), Architect, German
- Felipe Castro Bermúdez-Coronel, Architect, representing the Seville City Council, Architect Spain
- Asunción Fernández Carretero, Deputy Director of Directorate JRC.R, European Commission, Spain
- Vincenzo Cardarelli, Adviser, Seville Site Development, Directorate JRC.B, European Commission, Italy
- Anne Holtrop, Architect, Netherlands
- Laurent Gravier, UIA representative, Architect, French
- 1st prize: EUR 30,000
- 2nd prize: EUR 25,000
- 3rd prize: EUR 15,000
The jury may also decide to allocate 2-3 honourable mentions to projects that have a particular merit.
- Launch: 18 May 2021
- Deadline for application: 1 July 2021
- Selection of participations and invitation to participate: Application deadline + 6 weeks
- Deadline for Q&A: 1 month after invitation
- Deadline for submission of design concepts: 3 months after invitation
- Jury evaluation: 3 weeks after deadline for submission
- Announcement of results: 1 week after evaluation